Public Policy Advocacy
Community Action staff and board met with local elected officials in December and January to update them on agency programs and to listen to their ideas and thoughts on 2011: (clockwise) Senator Roger Reinert, Representative Mary Murphy and newly elected Representative Kerry Gauthier. Additional meetings were held with newly elected County Commissioner Frank Jewell and City Councilor Todd Fedora.
Strategy: Advocacy (Play an active role in changing policies and laws to help people out of poverty.)
Definition: Support and empower people with low incomes and their allies to speak on their own behalf for public policy change.
Examples of Progress:
- We created a Public Policy board committee.
- The board identified legislative priorities (including Supporting the Ladders out of Poverty bill, opposing cuts to General Assistance Medical Care and General Assistance, opposing cuts to the MN Family Investment Program) and worked with statewide organizations to advocate on these priorities.
- The staff and board members met with state, local and county elected officials in winter 2009 to discuss issues that concern people on low incomes.
- We sponsored a Legislative Advocacy workshop for nonprofits with Marcia Avner from MN Council of Non Profits in the fall of 2009.
- We cosponsored nonpartisan candidate forums during the election season of 2009.