Engaging our community to end poverty

Free Tax Site

Filing your tax returns can be complex and stressful, but you want to do it right. Our Free Tax Site is here to help.

If you earn a household total of $56,000 a year or less, you or your family can have your taxes done for free by our staff-supervised, IRS-certified volunteers. Plan to use our Free Tax Site and save yourself $200 or more in tax preparation fees.

Are you looking for a rewarding volunteer opportunity?
Join us at the Free Tax Site in 2019. Our team of volunteer tax preparers and site assistants helped 1,320 families claim over $2.3 million in refunds last year. You’ll meet great people and receive all necessary training. Every volunteer on our team plays a crucial role, and your participation at the tax site can help boost a person’s annual income by as much as 50%.

Learn more about being a tax site volunteer.

How to connect
For more information, contact us at 218.726.1665, ext. 225 or by email at julia@communityactionduluth.org.

Locations, Dates, and Times


Free Tax Site Location:
Community Action Duluth
2424 West 5th Street, Suite 102
Duluth, MN 55806

A map and directions are available here.

Regular Season Tax Site Hours
Monday, January 28, 2019 — Monday, April 15, 2019

  • Mondays: Doors open at 4:30 p.m.
  • Tuesdays: Doors open at 4:30 p.m.
  • Saturdays: Doors open at 8:45 a.m.

Walk-ins only, no appointment necessary
We take 24 to 48 customers per Tax Site Clinic, depending on the number of volunteers available to prepare tax returns. People may line up 1–2 hours before doors open. We recommend arriving early.

Appointment-only Tax Site Hours

  • Thursday, 12–4 p.m., January 31–April 11
    Prior year (tax year 2014, 2015, 2016) and amended returns. (Tax year 2017 returns are prepared only as a follow-up.)
  • Tuesday and Wednesday, 12–4 p.m., April 30–June 26.
    All returns within scope of service. Taxpayers just filing for a rent rebate or property tax refund should schedule post-season appointments. We also encourage an appropriate party schedule post-season appointments for adult foster care and group home residents.

For more information, call 218.726.1665, ext. 225

Preparing Your Own Taxes

Our Free Tax Site serves households and individuals with an annual income up to $56,000.

Households and individuals with incomes up to $68,000 per return can prepare tax returns and file electronically for free online at United Way’s MyFreeTaxes website.

You will need an email address and all of your tax documents. A free tax time helpline is available January through May at:
1.855.My.Tx.Help (1.855.698.9435)

Prior Year and Amended Tax Returns


To claim a tax year 2015 refund, you must file a return by April 15, 2019. We can help.

We provide specialty and post-season tax preparation including:
Prior year and amended returns

  • Property tax and renter’s rebates (2017 M1PR refund expires August 15, 2019)
  • Current year returns (starting April 30)
  • Adult foster care and group home residents.  Download the Group Home Resident Tax Organizer here.
  • On-site mobile tax prep for adult foster care or group home residents is available through June 20. Please call 218.726.1665, ext. 225 to arrange.

Appointment Hours

  • Thursday, 12–4 p.m., January 31–April 11
    Prior year (tax year 2015, 2016, 2017) and amended returns.
  • Tax year 2018 returns are prepared only as a follow-up.
  • Tuesday and Wednesday, 12–4 p.m., April 30–June 26.
    All returns within scope of service.

For more information, call 218.726.1665, ext. 225.


What-to-Bring Checklist



  • 2017 tax return: REQUIRED if you itemized deductions in 2017 or carry forward a loss and CAD did not do your 2017 return.
  • 2017 tax return: ADVISED if CAD did not do your 2017 return
  • Valid photo I.D.
  • Social security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) cards or letters for all persons listed on the tax return, including all dependents
  • Birth date for all persons listed on the tax return
  • For direct deposit of refund(s), bring a voided check OR your account number and routing number of your bank
  • Income statements or forms for 2018:
    • Wages from each job (Form W-2)
    • Independent Contractor earnings (Form 1099-MISC)
      Tip: Download our Self-Employment Tax Organizer
    • Interest (Form 1099-INT)
    • Dividends (Form 1099-DIV)
    • Retirement Plan Distributions (Form 1099-R)
    • Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
    • Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
    • Social Security Benefits (Form SSA-1099)
    • Railroad Retirement Benefits (Form RRB-1099- R)
  • Year-end benefits statements for MFIP, SSI, MSA, GA, veteran’s benefits, or worker’s compensation
  • Receipts for education expenses you paid for your dependent children in grades K-12. For example: tutoring, rental/purchase of instrument, music lessons, pens, pencils, & notebooks
  • Tuition expenses you or your dependent paid to attend a university, college or technical school (Form 1098-T)
  • Amounts of student loan original principal, 2018 payments and 2018 interest paid (Form 1098-E)
  • Day care expenses you paid for dependent children, with provider’s name, address and tax ID number (EIN or SSN)
  • Letters verifying charitable cash donations—$500 in non-cash items
  • Purchasers of health insurance in the marketplace: Documentation of advance premium tax credits (Form 1095-A is required). All others, bring Form 1095-B or 1095-C.
  • Health Savings Account holders: Form 5498-SA or 1099-SA
  • Homeowners: Mortgage interest & real estate taxes paid in 2018 (Form 1098) and Statement of Property Tax payable In 2019 mailed by the county in March 2019
  • Renters: Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) in 2018 from each landlord, mailed by January 31, 2019
  • Mobile Home Owners: Statement of Property Tax Payable in 2019 mailed by the county AND Certificate of Rent Paid in 2018 from your landlord

A printable checklist is available here.