A car. It means a lot more than most people realize. It can mean being able to change jobs, work different hours, get your kids to after-school activities, or get groceries when you need them. Access to public transportation helps, but it’s often not enough to connect you and your family to the opportunities you need to get ahead. Owning a car is expensive, but it can be done and we can help with transportation coaching and the resources you need like:
- Low interest loans
- Down payment assistance
- Personal fund for maintenance or repairs
- Credit-building education and assistance
Eligibility and Requirements
To be eligible for our JumpStart Duluth program you must:
- Have a steady source of income from employment and the ability to make monthly vehicle payments (between $200 and $230 a month)
- Be able to afford full coverage car insurance (between $75–$200 a month)
- Be able to provide the minimum down payment of $500.
- Be able to meet basic credit standards or be working toward credit repair.
- Have a current valid driver’s license.
Down payment eligibility
The following guidelines are not for program eligibility, however to qualify for down payment assistance, you must be at, or under, these income guidelines:
|Household Size||Income Limit (200% of poverty)|
For each additional person, add $8,640
How to Apply
There are some forms to fill out and verifications we will need, but don’t worry, if you have any questions or need help filling things out, or collecting the verifications you will need, you can contact Dakota at 218.726.1665 ext. 218 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To get started, please fill out our application, budget worksheet and release of information forms. You can do that two ways:
1. Pick up forms at Community Action Duluth
2. Click on the links below and fill out the forms:
After you’ve filled out your forms, you can get them to us four ways:
1. Drop them off at Community Action Duluth
2. Fax them to 726.1612
3. Email them to email@example.com
4. Mail them to:
- Attn: Dakota
- Community Action Duluth
- 2424 W 5 th St. Suite 102
- Duluth, MN 55806
Outcomes and Success Stories
The following results are taken from a survey given to JumpStart participants after a year of vehicle ownership:
- 61% reported that their vehicle helped them keep their job.
- 83% reported having more job security.
- 30% reported that their vehicle helped them to get a new job, and of these, 62% noted that the new job was better.
- 66% noted better pay, hours and working conditions.
- 60% noted better shifts.
- 50% noted better benefits.
- 33% noted a better job location.
- 66% of all participants noted an overall increase in income.
- 77% stated that their vehicle helped them to obtain additional education and training.
- 96% stated their quality of life was “much better” or “better” since getting their vehicle.
- 96% stated that obtaining their vehicle helped to improve their overall financial security.