We currently have the following positions available.
Lead Swab Team Crew Member
Transitional Employment Position
Reports to: Director of Workforce Programs
To empower and engage our community to eliminate poverty, and to create prosperity and equity in the lives of the people we serve.
Position Description: The Community Construction Program employs crew members to rehab and build blighted homes to help address Duluth’s affordable housing problems. Crew members learn basic carpentry skills including but not limited to restoration techniques, framing, door hanging, window installation, roofing, painting, drywall, mudding, and proper use of tools and trade safety standards. Lead Swab Team Crew members are a part of the Community Construction Program crew, however will receive additional formal Lead Safety, Mitigation, and Risk Assessment training along with career and financial coaching (as part of their paid work week), to assist them in reaching the goal of finding and transitioning into permanent employment in 12 months.
An integral part of our transitional employment programs and green initiatives, the Construction Crew members have three key responsibilities:
· Physical Labor: Working 8-hour days, lifting up to 50lbs, being on your feet and/or knees, being in high spaces to paint such as ladders, scaffolding; crawling under floor spaces, and etc.
· Education & Training: Help ensure a safe and productive work environment by completing safety training and maintaining equipment. You will also be expected to learn each job duty on the worksite.
o Additional training:
§ Lead Safety Training
§ First Aid & CPR
§ Green building
· Represent Community Construction Program & Community Action Duluth: Model the core qualities of crew member; Safe, hardworking, enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and values that align with Community Action’s mission in both formal and informal settings.
· Ability to work a fixed schedule, reliable, and punctual.
· Ability to work long days in and/or outdoors in adverse environmental conditions.
· Ability to repeatedly lift 35lbs and occasionally 50lbs and engage in manual labor for up to 8 hours per day.
· Ability to work with heights (on ladders, scaffolding, roofs, etc.)
· Willing to wear weather appropriate clothing and/or a uniform consisting of: Program shirt, long pants, leather work boots, hard hat, gloves, and safety glasses/goggles.
· Philosophical agreement with agency purpose.
· Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
· Open to constructive criticism; ability to integrate information to work.
· Demonstrated willingness to learn the skills of building trades and seek career opportunities in the field.
· Must be willing to undergo bi-annual lead blood test.
· Previous experience working in the building trades.
· Previous experience working to safety standards and wearing appropriate PPE.
Community Action Duluth is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity of background and perspective are strengths. We seek to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff.
Tax Site Volunteer Coordinator
About The Role
The volunteer coordinator assists in recruiting and supporting the volunteers of our VITA site. This includes contacting past volunteers, and working with the Tax Site Manager to contact organizations which may be a likely source of future volunteers. Assists in service delivery and logistical operations of the program. This position works approximately 25-30 hours per week, between December and May. This includes afternoon - evening hours, and some work on Saturdays.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site helps low-income individuals file accurate and thorough income tax returns to correctly document their income and to receive the appropriate services and benefits tied to income. Every return filed through our program helps members of our community, who have barriers to financial prosperity, retain more of their limited finances. Every return makes a difference.The VITA tax site runs from 1:00pm to 9:00pm on weekdays, with a short sessions on Saturdays, from January to April. Hours worked can be flexible for candidates.
Please submit a cover letter and resume anywhere this position is shared, or on the career page of communityactionduluth.org.